Thursday, January 15, 2009

I call people dog.

For some reason as I start this blog, and write my first post I feel the need to confess something about myself…..
I call people dog. Not all people, just some people. And I am thinking about trying to stop. Here is why:

  • I am a white woman, almost 30 years old to be exact. I am a working professional. I wear dress pants to work. I use terms like “let’s touch base on this project tomorrow” and “the action items from the meeting are…”
  • I grew up in Idaho in a town of 600 people. There were cows in the fields behind my house and chickens scampering around the yard. I ain’t got no street cred.
  • About a year ago I slipped and called my boss dog while in a real corporate meeting. Luckily he liked it and asked me to continue. Since then he has introduced me as “Courtney, she calls me dog”
  • When I was 12 I wanted to be Black, more than anything in the world. Turns out maybe there is a part of me that still does.
  • Apparently I have heard from my “hip and cool” friends that I don’t spell it correctly, should be dawg (as in Top Dawg t’s , big hit back in 94) or Dogg as in Snoop Dogg. I know I am no Dawg or no “D O double G” so just decided to take make it my own and give it back, thus dog.
  • Once while playing trains with my nephew, I said “That is a sweet bridge dog.” He said “Courtney, I am not a dog a I am boy.” It could get confusing for a little one.
  • People judge me, especially when they first meet me and see me throw out the term. I think they think I am trying to be cool. No one knows how to react to it. It can get pretty awkward. I mean you have seen me? Let me be the first to say I am not trying to be cool or hip. I mean I get it that no one will ever think someone like me will be hip or cool by saying dog. I mean my mannerisms are more like a g-ma than a g.

    The thing is, I think I started it as a joke back in 94 and I haven’t been able to stop, as sad as it is it has now become me. Even more sad, is that I can see myself at like 70 lovingly referring to all my grandkids as dogs. I may even stretch it to gdogs (grandbaby dogs)

    Maybe not stop but for sure try to cut back, fair?

8 comments:

  1. welcome dog. I wouldnt have it any other way, I dont even think you need to cut back. However I could perhaps do without your rousing rendetion of My Milkshake Brings All the Boys to the Yard.

    PS- did I take the picture up top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok. i think cut back is a fair term. because i agree that it should be stopped - i mean you are not the type, really. but at the same time, i'm kind of used ot it. you have a few things you say that i would miss if you stopped saying them. inlcuding things about judging you and BIT. so maybe just cut back on the dog thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious.
    I remember the first time I heard your little white-girl mouth say "dog" and I admit, I was taken aback...but you know, it's become an institution and the sort-of twang you put with it gives white girls everywhere new license.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I love that you say Dog - dont stop.
    Second, I say NEWSFLASH because of you and my boss makes fun of me. Really, I think he is jealous that he didnt start saying it first. He tries to incoporate it and the context is all wrond...
    Third, I miss you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffany forwarded me your blog link - you are hilarious Courtney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney, I am SO HAPPY you started a blog!
    Please don't ever stop calling people dog. I love it when you call me dog. It's kind of like a term of endearment coming from you, and I think it's so funny that you call your nephew and your boss dog, too.
    You make me laugh, dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!!!! This is the best dog.. Love ya g-dog! Shinnick

    ReplyDelete