Thursday, April 23, 2009

Baby-sayer



I want to be a baby-sayer. And I always have. It all started with the vision I had when I was a little girl. I saw myself being 68 years old at the local grocery store wearing 18 bracelets on each arm and heels that click on the tile as I roam the store for muffins, canned tomatoes and pine nuts. When I was ready to check out and the girl asked me if I wanted paper or plastic I would say “paper is just fine, baby.” Then when I would leave and a nice teenage boy would hold the door for me I would say “that is so sweet of you, thanks baby.” I think this steamed from the hours of watching Steel Magnolias as a child.

Fast forward 20 years. I still want to call people baby. I have been trying to decide if I can or not. I feel confident I can for sure pull off the old lady “baby” but that’s 30 years away and I am ready to get started now. I am feeling nervous about being a white girl in my 20’s calling people baby. To make matters worse I feel nervous because people that claim to care about me, have lovingly let me know that I am no baby sayer, instead they say I am more of a “punkin”-sayer or a sugar-sayer

Duh… I already know that I can say pumpkin and sugar and that people like it but I want to say baby. This is hard for me but I have to admit there is an art to calling people baby and let’s be honest not everyone has got it. In fact, I have been secretly studying to learn more about this amazing skill, with the hopes that something will rub off on me.

Here are my findings:
> The majority of white girls under the age of 55 are not baby-sayers, with the exception of my 4-year old niece. Listen for you girls like me I know this is hard to read and I am sorry. I was mad too.
> Good old country boys, especially the oldies are baby-sayers.
> The term “baby” doesn’t belong in corporate America. And yes this was learned the hard way.
> There are several facets of baby-saying including: 1) The bedroom baby-sayer 2) The oldie baby-sayer 3) The good game baby-sayer
> If you are black or brown, there is a 80% chance you can call people baby and they will like it.

So to my friends who tell me I am no baby-sayer – you win, I throw in the towel, you are right. I am no baby-sayer. And yes I may have tried to take it and make it my own, like I do with most things and yes that may have involved referring to some men as babyboo but I surrender, I am in a corner.

I am just hoping that those of you who can call people baby, that you will do so and do it proudly and I can only hope that I am one of the lucky recipients.

7 comments:

  1. Court! I totally added you to my blog list, hope that's cool! You are hilarious i love it! My fav is the rice story about you and your dad. Perhaps i can relate and i have met your cute fam and love them and your whole bear lake life style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the image of you being an old woman walking through the grocery store in heels and bracelets. For what it's worth, I can totally picture you throwing around the "baby" when you are a senior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my fav post you've ever done. i'm seriously dying laughing. and you know what, court? you can totally say baby. just do it. i promise to react well, which will give you the confidence you need to use it on strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reach for the stars...follow your dreams.... Work your strengths. Punkin is a strength

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waitresses say it to me all the time...but I think they're fishing for tips. I don't think I can get away with being a baby-sayer either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Courtney, we would love to have you over! Let us know what night works. We are easy. Cant wait to see you, its been ages....

    ReplyDelete